The great renewal of the 1886-88 era -- which culminated in the erection of a Guild Hall and construction of the present west front of the church, the towers, bells and windows, including the rearranging of the choir and Chancel with extension of the Sanctuary -- brought forth the fine art of wood carving, all of which was the work of young and enthusiastic female artisans guided by the best teachers of the area. Today no has no difficulty in visualizing the treasured beauty of their work, but it is not easy to fully conceive this society of women applying such church-oriented labors in the fine arts; their personal, sincere expressions of worship, praise and thankfulness in such material and technique as the carving of hard wood. A report of 1907 recalls the names of fifteen artists who participated in this work of beautification.
The ten carved panels feature the passion flower, roses, grapes, holly, oleander, oak, sycamore, dogwood, English ivy and American ivy in bas relief. At one time, they formed the Chancel rail. (You can see them in their former positions in the small pictures on the Pulpit and Eagle Lecturn pages.) During the 1993-94 renovation, the panels were mounted on the north and east walls. The work was mostly done and completely supervised by Mrs. Katie Mosher who also carved the Altar. Examples of Mrs. Mosher's wood carving were exhibited at the Centennial Celebration in Philadelphia in 1876 and at the great Columbian Exposition of Chicago in 1893.