Eagle Lecturn

Eagle Lecturn

eagle

At the intersection of the Nave and Transept near the Clergy chairs, there is a carved wood eagle lectern which was the gift of Governor John White Stevenson in 1881. This artistic treasure is one of the most exquisite ecclesiastical carvings in the church -- the motif derived as the symbol of the preaching of St. John whose words carried far as the flight of an eagle. There is no known record of the artist, but Governor Stevenson's energetic, knowledgable parish and diocesan efforts in support of his Church are very visible in the Vestry records. In traditional placement, this lectern is on the "Epistle Side" of the Sanctuary.

oldeagle

Before the 1993-94 renovation, the Stevenson Eagle Lectern was placed in front of the carved wood panels of the Chancel rail.